This paleo recipe is versatile and delicious. These zucchini fritters are full of healthy ingredients but fried in coconut oil to make you feel like you are indulging in something truly delicious. This recipe is best made with fresh zucchini, so take advantage of your local farmers market or try growing some zucchini in your own backyard at home!
This recipe can be adjusted to use a variety of different vegetables if you don’t have any zucchini on hand or if you simply don’t care for it. Try it out with carrot, eggplant or even sweet potato and see which you like best!
Paleo Recipe - Fried Zucchini Fritters
Course: Lunch or Snack
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
2 medium zucchini, raw (about 1 lbs.)
2 large spring onions, chopped
2 tbsp. minced red onion
½ cup blanched almond flour
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tbsp. fresh chopped dill
1 tsp. coarse salt
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. fresh ground pepper
Coconut oil for cooking
1. Grate the zucchini or shred it using the shredder function on your food processor.
2. Spread the grated zucchini out on a thick layer of paper towel.
3. Sprinkle the zucchini liberally with salt and let it set for about 20 minutes.
4. Cover the zucchini with another layer of paper towel and press down firmly to squeeze the excess moisture from the zucchini.
5. Transfer the zucchini to a mixing bowl and add the spring onions and minced red onion.
6. Stir well then stir in the remaining ingredients.
7. Heat a heavy skillet over medium-high heat and grease it liberally with coconut oil.
8. Reduce the heat to medium when the oil is hot (test the oil by flicking a few droplets of water onto it – if it is hot enough, it will hiss).
9. Drop the zucchini mixture into the hot oil using an ice cream scoop.
10. Let the zucchini fritters cook for 2 to 4 minutes until lightly browned then carefully flip them and cook until they are browned on the other side.
11. Transfer the cooked fritters to paper towel to drain and repeat with the remaining zucchini mixture.
12. Serve warm garnished with extra chopped dill.
Paleo Cooking Tip:
This recipe can easily be customized to suit your own tastes. Give your zucchini fritters a Cajun flair by adding smoked paprika, cumin and onion powder. If you like spicy food, throw in a minced jalapeno and some cayenne pepper. Don’t be afraid to experiment!
If you would like to include this paleo recipe in your own customized paleo meal plan then give PrimalPal a free try. We look forward to seeing you achieve paleo success with PrimalPal.