We get our meat from a local farm. Mike and the guys at Sunshine Harvest Farm do a great job and we're always excited to see what we'll get in our meat CSA each month.
The last couple of shares have left our freezer stocked with four whole chickens. I used to panic at the idea of roasting a whole chicken. It just sounds hard! After some trial and error I can now roast a delicious, juicy chicken in around an hour and fifteen minutes. I know this isn't the fastest cooking time but the great thing about roasting a whole chicken is that you prep it in 10 minutes and then just let the oven do the work. You're free to do whatever you want while the chicken roasts.
I actually consider this whole roasted chicken recipe to be a go-to weeknight meal. I hope you enjoy it.
Herb and Lemon Whole Roasted Chicken
Course: Dinner (Save leftovers for lunch!)
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Cook time: Approx 1 hour (or 17 mins per pound)
- 3 lb whole chicken, giblets removed, rinsed with cool water, patted dry
- 2 tbsp of organic, grass-fed butter (Kerrygold)
- 2 tsp of rosemary
- 2 tsp of thyme
- 2 tsp of black pepper
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees (F)
- Rinse the chicken with cool water, remove any giblets and pat dry inside and out
- Season the inside cavity of the chicken with 1 tsp of salt, 1 tsp of fresh ground pepper, 1 tsp rosemary, 1 tsp thyme and 2 tbs of lemon juice
- Soften the butter and mix with 1 tsp of rosemary, 1 tsp of thyme and 1 tsp of black pepper
- Slowly pull the skin away from the breasts and avoid putting any tears in the skin and spread the butter and herbs between the skin and the breast meat, repeat for the thighs
- Season the outside of the chicken with salt and pepper to taste.
- Truss the chicken (see video below on how to do this without string)
- Heat a large oven-safe pan on the stove with the olive oil, once it's hot place the chicken in it breast side up and then place it in the oven on the middle rack
- Roast the chicken for 50-60 mins, until a meat thermometer placed into the thigh, not touching bone, reads 165 degrees (F)
- Take out of the oven and let it rest for 10 mins, serve with veggies and enjoy!
How to truss a chicken without string (It's easy!)
If you would like to include this delicious paleo friendly recipe, and others like it, in your own custom paleo meal plan sign up for a free trial to PrimalPal. Succeeding with the paleo diet starts with a plan. Let PrimalPal make planning easy!
Going to try this amazing lemon herb roasted chicken recipe via @PrimalPal [Tweet This]
Share this recipe and make your friends want to come over for dinner :)