There's something special about Saturday mornings. My favorite things about Saturday mornings are sleeping in a little, taking it easy and enjoying a delicious breakfast or brunch. There's no rush. You can take your time and enjoy every moment.
So this morning when I got up I put the coffee on and decided to test out the new donut pan that I ordered off Amazon. I've been looking forward to making some paleo donuts for a while and I felt like it was the perfect culinary challenge for a lazy Saturday morning.
The great thing about these paleo donuts are that they are simple to make and delicious. So even if you don't have a lot of time on Saturday morning you could still whip these up in a short amount of time. And trust me... these are way healthier than the donuts that sit in the box in the employee lounge.
If you want to have a donut on Monday morning you would be better off making a batch of these gluten free donuts on Sunday night and taking one with you in the morning. Just don't make these an everyday breakfast.
Baked Paleo Pumpkin Spice Donuts with Pumpkin Spice Glaze
Prep Time: Approx 5 mins
Cook Time: Approx 25 mins
Serves: 6 (1 donut per person)
Ingredients for the donuts
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
1/3 cup pumpkin
2 tbsp coconut oil softened
4 tbsp maple syrup
Directions for the donuts
1. Preheat the oven to 350 Degrees F.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a small bowl. This includes the coconut flour, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt. You may want to sift the dry ingredients to reduce clumps.
3. Put the coconut oil in the microwave just to soften it up a bit. Don't completely melt it. You just want it to mix easy.
4. In another bowl combine the coconut oil, pumpkin, maple syrup and eggs. Add the dry ingredients the the wet ingredients and mix together.
5. You'll end up with a pretty thick dough but this is fine. Grease your donut pan with some coconut oil and fill the donut pan with your dough. My pan makes 6 medium to large donuts but you could use a mini-donut pan as well.
6. Bake the donuts in the oven on the middle rack for 20 to 25 minutes. I baked mine for 25 minutes and they were perfect.
7. Take them out and let them cool for a few minutes then let them cool the rest of the way by placing them on a wire rack.
Once they get down to around room temp they are ready to enjoy. If you want, you can add a nice glaze to the top like I did.
Pumpkin Pie Spiced Donut Glaze
Ingredients for donut glaze
4 tbsp of grass-fed, unsalted butter
3 tbsp of honey
1/2 tsp of vanilla
1/2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice
Directions for donut glaze
1. Soften your butter in the microwave. Do not melt it.
2. Add the rest of your ingredients to the butter and whisk them together until smooth.
3. Let it cool for approximately 5 minutes then use a spoon or butter knife to glaze your donuts.
These are really tasty and they go great with a cup of organic coffee. If you're missing the sweet taste and cake texture of donuts then these will hit the spot. Just make sure to have these as a treat every now and then. Due to the maple syrup and honey it's not a good idea to eat these all the time.
If you're looking for a way to easily plan your paleo meals as well as your paleo treats then give PrimalPal a try. It will make your life easier by allowing you to create a customized paleo meal plan and generating a shopping list to go with it. Save time and money with your own paleo meal planning web app!