The other night I stood in the kitchen. In one hand I held one pound of grass-fed ground beef from our local farmer. In the other hand I held two sweet potatoes. In my mind I had a vision. That vision was Savory Paleo Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie. This is a really easy recipe is simple and it will satisfy the whole family.
For the best results with this recipe I would suggest you get a cast iron skillet such as this one. This is the exact one we own and I use it all the time. What I like best about this skillet is that it can go straight from the stove top into the oven. Just like I'll be doing in this recipe for Paleo Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie.
I came across a surprising trio of spices for this paleo shepherd's pie which really made the recipe unique and delicious. This recipe tastes amazing and I guarantee it will disappear fast.
Savory Paleo Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie
Prep Time: Approx 20 mins.
Cook Time: Approx 30 mins.
Ingredients for Savory Paleo Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie
1 lb ground beef
2 large sweet potatoes
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
1 cup of mushrooms, chopped
2 tbsp of butter
1/4 cup of full fat coconut milk
1 tsp of cinnamon
1 tsp of allspice
1 tsp of nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp of salt
2 tsp of black ground pepper
Directions for Savory Paleo Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie
1. Rinse of your sweet potatoes and place them in a glass microwave safe dish with about a 1/2 inch of water. Pierce the potatoes a few times, cover and cook in the microwave for 10 - 15 minutes. All microwaves are different so you'll just want to ensure the potatoes are cooked all the way through and are soft.
2. While the potatoes are cooking take your cast iron skillet and cook the beef, onion, carrots and mushrooms until the beef is no longer pink and the carrots are soft. Mix in the cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, 1 teaspoon of black pepper and 1 teaspoons of the salt.
3. Take your sweet potatoes out and give them a minute to cool so they are easy to handle. You'll make a cut down the middle of the potatoes and then scoop out all the good stuff into a mixing bowl.
4. Mash the sweet potatoes with the egg, butter, coconut milk, 1 teaspoon of black pepper and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Mash the potatoes until they are smooth.
5. Spread the mashed sweet potatoes over the ground beef as evenly as possible.
6. Bake the dish in the oven at 350 degrees for approximately 22 - 25 minutes.
7. Broil the dish for 8 minutes to give it a nice finish.
8. Serve it up and enjoy. It will go fast!
I hope you'll try this recipe for Savory Paleo Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie. It is a crowd pleaser.
If you want to incorporate more meals like this one into your weekly paleo meal plan all you have to do is sign up for a PrimalPal membership. All the recipes are paleo diet and primal approved. Start your free trial today.