I've got a great recipe for you today. It's especially good if you're a time crunched professional or parent. This is a simple salad that I call the Paleo BASE Salad which stands for bacon, avocado, spinach and egg. It is a great lunch or dinner and it will kick the strongest cravings for a traditional BLT.
The BASE Salad is loaded with healthy fats, vitamins and antioxidants. If you eat it for lunch you'll have enough energy to carry you through the rest of the day and into the evening. It's also a very satiating salad because of the healthy fats and fiber. So eating this at lunch will make you less likely to fall victim to a late afternoon sugar or carbohydrate craving.
Best of all, this salad will keep your insulin levels in check and not spike your blood glucose. If you're going back to a desk job after lunch then this is a really good thing. Most people spike their blood sugar at lunch with a fast food meal and then come back and sit at their desks for four to five more hours. This is a recipe for disaster. We are not going to be that person!
The Paleo Bacon Avocado Spinach and Egg Power Salad
Prep Time: Approx 5 mins.
Cook Time: Approx 10 mins. (If you have to cook the bacon)
Ingredients for the Paleo BASE Salad
1 cup of baby spinach
1/2 cup of baby spring mix
3 slices of bacon, chopped
5 cherry tomatoes, halved
3 tbsp red onion, chopped
2 eggs, fried or poached
1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp of EVOO
1/4 of avocado sliced (or pre-made guac)
Ground black pepper to taste
Directions for the Paleo BASE Salad
1. Put all your spinach, greens, tomatoes and red onions into a big bowl.
2. Lightly toss the veggies with the vinegar and olive oil. Add your avocado.
3. Cook your bacon if you don't have any pre-made. I cook my bacon in a little toaster oven that has a broil setting. It works great and takes a little less than 10 minutes to get perfectly cooked bacon.
4. Fry up two eggs. You can do one if you're not a big eater like me.
5. Chop your bacon and put it on the salad and then place your eggs on top.
6. Bonus tip: I actually pour a little of the bacon grease on top of the salad as a finisher. Just in case there wasn't enough fat in it already! :)
Enjoy this "fattening" salad and enjoy kissing your love handles goodbye at the same time!
Make sure you don't miss any ingredients for the Paleo BASE Salad by adding it to your meal plan in PrimalPal. PrimalPal will create a shopping list for you that you can pull up on your phone at the grocery store (or print it out if you're so inclined). Please 'Like' and 'Share' this post if you found it helpful.